What Makes This Tour Special
- Organic Farm Tour & Chef-Prepared Luncheon
- Exclusive Mezcal and Tequila Tastings*
- Two Chef's tasting dinners
- Hacienda Retreat with Equestrian Experience
- Beautiful Boutique & Historic Hotels
- Ancient Aztec Chocolate Demonstration
- Historic City Architectural & Cultural Tours
- Hands-On Cooking Class with Guided Market Tour
About This Colonial Mexico Tour
Santiago de Querétaro, the capital of the north central-Mexico state of Querétaro. "El Bajio's rising star", as Mexican's have come to call it, rivals Mexico city as an exceptional example of a Spanish colonial city but it's much more accessible. Lovely mansions, immaculate pedestrian andadores and quaint plazas are little changed since colonial days. We'll visit with locals for traditional Sunday barbacoa; lamb, beef or pork slow cooked in buried-pit ovens. Though Mexico isn't known for its wines, we'll drive Querétaros' picturesque wine route to sip delicious Cabernets and Syrahs grown in this special microclimate. Another day, we'll stop at an organic farm and sample hand-crafted organic cheese so fresh it's still warm. We'll stop in Cadereyta, one of the smallest UNESCO designated towns, for a stay at a 300-year-old hacienda that is still a working equestrian farm. In the tranquil countryside, we'll enjoy horseback riding, kayaking and relaxing in an outdoor hot tub fed by natural thermal springs.
Then we'll journey to San Miguel de Allende, a charming, friendly haven for artists and food lovers. You'll enjoy the relaxed pace and winding cobblestone streets as we explore, taste and cook our way through this magical town. We'll visit and sip the most exclusive tequila in the world one day and you'll learn the subtle nuances artisanal mezcal the next. We'll stroll the halls of an abandoned 400-year-old hacienda with stunning mosaics and murals and we'll learn to make cacao "truffles" like the ancient Aztecs.
Included in this Tour
- Artisanal non-exported tequila tasting with food pairings
- Organic, sustainable, women's co-operative farm tour with biodynamic wine, artisanal beer & cheese tastings followed by chef-prepared farm to table luncheon
- Artisanal winery tour and local cheese tasting
- Daily breakfast, 6 dinners, 5 lunches. *our dinners include 1 alcoholic beverage per person and certain lunches & activities include alcohol as well. *please see below
- Optional airport transfers to/from Santiago de Querétaro airport
- All ground transfers
- All taxes and gratuities
- *Non-alcoholic refreshments are always available in replacement of alcoholic beverages
- This tour requires that you MUST be able to walk at least 1 mile continuously, handle uneven surfaces, climb 15 stairs and be able to arrive on time each morning for activities.
- 6 Nights boutique hotel or historic hotel accommodations
- Hands-On cooking class with market tour with our Mayora of Mexican Cuisine
- San Miguel de Allende city tour
- Historical and architectural tour of Querétaro
- Stay in a 300 year old mexican hacienda
- Kayaking, horseback riding, hiking and outdoor natural thermal soaking spring available
- Artisanal non-exported mezcal tasting with gourmet chef-prepared 4-course meal*
- Optional 1/2 day excursion to Pena de Bernal, the world's 3rd largest monolith for hiking, lunch, touring town.
- Optional cacao demonstration - learn all about cacao's ancient roots and how it's processed from bean to bar today. Hands-on class